Sunday, February 6, 2011

I’m in McDonald’s…

...it’s different here I promise. I’m not saying it’s healthier than back home—in fact, my Lonely Planet guidebook has blamed an influx of fast food for increasing problems with obesity and poor health here in New Zealand (sound familiar?)—but, it is NICER. First of all, there are flat-screen-TVs playing David Bowie music videos throughout. There’s even one near the play area so you can watch your kids AND David at the same time.

Did I come here for a supersized fries or maybe because I was cosmically driven towards the perpetually sexy pop icon and Labyrinth star? No, I’m here because in my quest for free Wi-Fi in Wellington, one name pervades. McDonald’s. I was unaware of this development. After a quick google, I discovered that it’s also happening in the states. So, keep an eye open if you’re looking for a wireless hook up. And if you're curious, I ordered a small coke.

During a conversation last week I think I offended some Kiwis when I quickly shot down their implication that I might like Micky-D’s. One could even say I scoffed. Arrogantly. So, in the interest of cultural exchange (roll eyes here), I thought I’d give it a try and see if the atmosphere could inspire my second blog post. It seems to have done the trick.

While writing the above paragraphs, David Bowie has transformed into Taylor Swift! There is something for everyone here. There’s even an orchid (fine, it’s probably fake, but still) over the pastry counter (yes, PASTRY COUNTER).

So, if you talk to someone from overseas and they engage you in a conversation about McDonald’s, just remember, it's different here.

-Ellie

PS: I apologize for the lack of pictures. I've tried to upload images for each of these first posts but for some reason they won't upload. Not sure how to fix this but I'll work on it.

2 comments:

  1. We saw the same thing in Panama on a pit stop... WiFi, huge flatscreens, and super nice bathrooms! Weird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to love Burger King in the UK before I went vegetarian. Glad you're enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete